The Traveller Education Support Service provides advice, guidance and focused support to schools and to parents and pupils from the Traveller community as part of the Children & Young People’s Services main aim:
"to help improve pupil outcomes and ultimately their life chances"
TESS has a number of related objectives to help us to meet that aim:
- To improve the quality of educational support provided to the Traveller community;
- To provide a consistent service to schools and families in need of support across Northern Ireland;
- To facilitate equality of access from pre-school to post-primary education;
- To build the capacity of schools to meet the educational needs of Traveller children and young people;
- To promote whole school approaches to service development;
- To promote full inclusion and integration across all areas of youth education;
- To support and encourage family learning, out of school hours learning and life-long learning.
The service produces a comprehensive annual delivery plan which sets out how TESS delivers a range of activities aimed at helping to meet the service delivery objectives set out above. Details on how to contact the service and individual staff members are included in the Contacts section to the right of this welcome page.