Home to school transport

The Education Authority has a statutory responsibility for the provision of transport assistance to facilitate attendance at a grant-aided school of pupils for whom fees are not paid and who are resident in Northern Ireland. This guide aims to help you navigate the transport application process.


How Can I Make a Complaint?

The Education Authority’s Transport Division aims to provide the best possible service at all times, but we recognise that sometimes things can go wrong.  When this happens, we will do our best to put things right. 

You can make a comment or complaint in person, by telephone, in writing or online and the Transport Division will investigate the issue and aim to resolve this as quickly and effectively as possible.  Where this is not possible, the Education Authority’s Complaints Handling Procedure sets out the formal process for making a complaint and can be found here.

Do you know that your choice and order of preferences could impact on your child’s eligibility for transport assistance?

Last updated: 14/08/2020