School Uniform Allowance

The Education Authority (EA) for Northern Ireland is responsible for assessing eligibility for school uniform allowance based on Department of Education (DE) / Department for the Economy (DfE) criteria.


Can I apply if I am a student who receives benefit in my own name?

Yes. Complete a form in your own name.  Enter ‘Self-Claimant’ at “Relationship to Child(ren)” and enter your own name, date of birth and school in the section for child(ren).

Can I apply for uniform allowance if my child attends a Nursery School?

If your child is in full-time or part-time nursery school/nursery unit/reception class, he/she will not be eligible for a uniform allowance. 

Can I apply for uniform allowance if I have a fostered child in my care?

No. If you or the foster carer are in receipt of funding you are not eligible to make application for uniform allowance.

Can I apply for uniform allowance if my child is at an EOTAS Learning Centre or Educational Guidance Centre?

Yes. Enter the EOTAS Centre or the Educational Guidance Centre attended along with the registered school on the form.  Not all students may be eligible for a uniform allowance.

Can I apply for uniform allowance if my child attends a full-time course at a Regional College/FE College?

Yes. If eligible your child can be entitled under the above criteria only if he/she has not reached the age of 18 on or before 31 July and is not attending a paid training course.  If the full-time course includes Physical Education an allowance can be paid for PE clothing.

Can I apply if my child is waiting for results and is unsure of what school he/she will attend in September?

Yes. Enter the name of the school they are most likely to attend in the School or College to be attended column and inform the Meals and Uniform Section by phone or in writing if this information changes.

Can I apply for uniform allowance if my child has reached 16 years of age on or before 1 July and is not attending a Regional College/FE College?

Yes. The Meals and Uniform Section will write to the school/college at the beginning of the new school year and when confirmation of your child's return is received the uniform allowance will be made as soon as possible. Payments for students over 16 years of age will not be paid until September/October.

Can I apply for uniform allowance if my child attends full-time at an Independent School?

Your child will not be eligible for a uniform allowance.  However, you can apply for free school meals if your child attends full-time at an Independent School.  

Can I apply if I am an Asylum Seeker?

Yes. You must attach evidence to show that you are supported by the Home Office Asylum Support Assessment Team (ASAT) or that you have applied for support.

Can I apply if I receive Universal Credit?

Yes. If you receive Universal Credit with net household earnings not exceeding £14,000 per year you are eligible to apply. Please forward your most recent Universal Credit Statement with your application form.

Can school uniform allowance be backdated?

No. The Meals and Uniform Section require parents to submit an application for meals and uniform in each school year and meals and uniform will only be awarded after the claim for the relevant school year has been assessed. The Meals and Uniform Section does not accept or process back-dated claims for meals and uniform. Entitlement for eligible claims will be determined from the date the application is received.

What are my responsibilities as a Parent/Guardian?

You must:    

  • Submit to the Meals and Uniform Section a fully completed application form showing or including proof of benefits/tax credits/Universal Credit. The child(ren) applied for must be in your actual custody, included in the payments for Child Benefit or Child Tax Credit and the name(s) must be entered as they appear on the Birth Certificate unless they have been legally changed;-
  • Notify the Meals and Uniform Section immediately of any changes in family circumstances or benefit entitlement;-
  • Provide the correct Bank/Building Society Details of the person claiming benefit and ensure that this account can accept payment by BACS.  Uniform grants can only be paid into a bank account stating the claimant’s name.  If you do not have a bank/building society account then your uniform allowance will be paid by a cheque;-
  • Provide the correct ID to cash your cheque (if paid by cheque) at Bank of Ireland (NI), i.e. current full driving licence, valid passport, electoral card, Translink Smart Pass, student ID/registration card or EU/UK National Identity Card; 
  • Choose the correct postage method for sending your form/other documents.

What are the current Uniform Allowance rates?

  Total Uniform PE
Primary School pupils   (born on or before 1 July 2015)  £35.75     /   /
Secondary School and Special School pupils      
Under 15 years of age on 1 August 2019  £73.00  £51.00  £22.00
15 years of age or over on 1 August 2019  £78.00  £56.00  £22.00

Pupils at Regional Colleges/FE Colleges who are not in receipt of any financial support which includes provision for clothing suitable for Physical Education and where Physical Education is part of their course

 £22.00  PE Only  

What do I need to do when I have completed my form?

If you receive Income Support, Income Based Jobseeker's Allowance, Income Related Employment and Support Allowance or Guarantee Element of State Pension Credit, your form needs to be stamped by the Agency paying your benefit.  You do not need to send your Tax Credits Award Notice (TC602) to the Meals and Uniform Section.

If applying under Child Tax Credit or Working Tax Credit all pages of your Tax Credits Award Notice (TC602) for the year 6/4/19 to 5/4/20 must be submitted with your completed application form.  Tax Credits Award Notices (TC602) before these dates cannot be accepted.

If you have not received your 6/4/19 to 5/4/20 Tax Credits Award Notice (TC602) but have received a Tax Credits Annual Review Notice (TC603R) for the year ended April 2019 which states “Check now no later than 31/7/2019” then you can send this with your application form. Tax Credits Annual Review Notices (TC603R) which state “Reply now no later than 31/7/2019” cannot be accepted.

If you misplaced/lost your TC602/TC603R you must contact HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) on their helpline 0345 300 3900 to request a replacement.

If you have not received a (TC602/TC603R) or replacement from HM Revenue and Customs by the end of July 2019 you can submit an application form for consideration with a letter stating why a TC602/TC603R is not attached. This may delay your claim.

If you are applying under Universal Credit, you must attach your most recent Universal Credit Statement dated no more than one month before the date when you submit your application for free school meals and uniform allowance.

When will I receive my uniform allowance?

Payment of uniform allowances will not be made before mid-July.  If you enter bank/building society details on the form you should check your account for payment.  If you provide an e-mail address your payment remittance will be sent to you by e-mail.  If no bank/building society details are entered or if you have given incorrect account details you will receive a cheque by post.

Last updated: 30/07/2019