The start of the new school year is a very busy time for schools, pupils and parents and we want to make sure your journey is safe and enjoyable.
We would therefore encourage parents/guardians to familiarise their children with their journey, including any pick up and drop off points.
To remind children and young people that their safety is important and to stay alert at all times when travelling to and from schools and colleges especially during dark mornings and evenings.
‘Safe School Travel’ checklist
Here are some important points to remember before embarking on your school journey:
- Think safety – heads up, screens down and earphones out!
- Wear or carry something REFLECTIVE i.e. armbands, tags which can be seen by drivers using headlights up to three times as far away as non-reflective materials
- Wear your seatbelt
- Stand back from the kerb and look left and right before crossing the road
- Allow the bus driver to focus on driving
- Always remain in clear view of the bus driver; do not walk in front of or behind a bus
Safe School Transport Leaflet
A guide for safe travel to and from schools and colleges for pupils and parents.
This leaflet is produced to ensure your child has a safe and pleasant journey. It contains information on Bullying, CCTV, Pupils’ Responsibility; Parents’ Responsibility and highlights the Authority’s School Transport policies to ensure good standards of safety on school transport
Provision of school transport services during severe weather.
In periods of bad weather it is necessary to take extra precautions to ensure that the safety of pupils is not compromised. It is not possible to provide precise instructions to cover every eventuality; the notes contained within the leaflet reflect ‘good practice’ which should, if followed, ensure children’s safety.