The membership contains representatives of some of the following:
- Department of Education representatives (appointed by the Department of Education to a range of schools);
- Education Authority representatives (appointed by the Education Authority);
- Transferor representatives (Controlled schools only - nominated by the main Protestant Churches and appointed by the Education Authority);
- Trustee representatives (Maintained schools only - nominated by the Trustees);
- Parent Governors (elected by parents);
- Teacher representatives (elected by the teachers in the school).
The size of the Board of Governors can range from 8 to 36 members. The exact membership composition for each type of school is laid down in legislation and in the Scheme of Management for the school. A summary membership table is provided in the link below: