It also aims specifically to foster a love of reading, to develop curiosity and to promote information literacy and lifelong learning through provision of high quality resources and professional advice and support to schools and other educational establishments.
The Education Library Service (ELS) provides a comprehensive service to Nursery, Primary, Post Primary and Special Schools in the Education Authority.
The ELS provides
- Books and other resources to encourage reading and support learning in the classroom.
- Cross curricular topic packs supplied directly to teachers to support the delivery of the Northern Ireland Curriculum.
Advice, Support and Services to Schools
- Post-inspection work including schools in Formal Intervention process and other EA priority schools
- Information on all aspects of reading and children’s literature
- Reading and literacy development programmes
- Advice in relation to library projects connected with the Extended Schools’ Programme, including working with parents
- Ensuring school library provision meets approved guidelines/standards
- Specifications and schedules for library equipment, layout and design
- organisation of library facilities in the school
- Supporting the implementation, development and use of ICT in the school library
- Encouraging the use of on-line learning as a tool to promote literacy and information management
- Providing library training for school-based library staff and volunteer helpers and pupils
- Contributing to other in-service training, including BT/EPD training programme
- Supply of resources through a tender which ensures value for money and benefits services and individual schools
- Standardised electronic catalogue records ready for integration with the C2k/ Capita Library Management System
- Advice on selecting resources
- Reader development activities including author visits
- Facilitated sessions with parents/carers
- Support for summer scheme
Education Library Service Offices
|Armagh Office||Education Authority, 1 Markethill Road, Armagh, BT60 1NR||Janet Compston, Senior Education Librarian||028 3752 firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Ballymena Office||Library Headquarters, Demesne Avenue, Ballymena, BT43 7BG||Grainne McCauley, Senior Library Assistant||028 2501 email@example.com|
|Derry / Londonderry Office||North West Teachers' Centre, 24 Temple Road, Strathfoyle, Derry, BT476TJ||Josie Cusack, Education Library Service Manager||028 7186 firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Dundonald Office||Education Authority, Grahamsbridge Road, Dundonald, Belfast, BT16 2HS||Kathy Dunseath, Education Library Service Manager||028 9598 email@example.com|
|Enniskillen Office||Halls Lane, Enniskillen, Co. Fermanagh, BT74 7DR||Margaret Kerr / Derek Parton||028 6633 firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Omagh Office||Omagh Library Complex, 1 Spillars Place, Omagh, BT78 1HL||Pauline Armstrong, Senior Education Librarian||028 8244 email@example.com|