EWS - School Transfer Procedures

Find our more about transferring your child to a different school.

There are occasions when a young person and their parents decide that a fresh start in a new school is the best way forward with regards to a child’s future education provision.

If this is the case parents should:

  • Contact the schools directly to see if there are places available and to meet the Principal and arrange a tour of the school.
  • Make an application to the school(s) by completing an AP1 Form. Schools will then respond in writing to confirm if a place is available.
  • In the interim the child or young person will remain registered in their current school which they should continue to attend unless a place in a new school is confirmed. Further information is available in our Admissions section.

For post-primary schools only, you can also apply to the Exceptional Circumstances Body (ECB) if you think your child should go to a specific post-primary school because of exceptional circumstances. The child must already have applied to the school it is claimed that they need to attend and been refused.

For further information on the process and how to apply see the Exceptional Circumstances Body .

Parents who require further advice on schools admissions can contact the Admissions Helpdesk.

Last updated: 22/12/2022