What is EOTAS?
EOTAS allows young people who have been expelled from school, or have otherwise disengaged from their registered school, to participate in education until they:
- Achieve a new school place;
- Are prepared for re-entry to an existing school place; or
- Reach compulsory school leaving age.
EOTAS is not a duplication of mainstream education. It is an educational provision to meet specific, identified pupil needs and is not a standalone alternative.
Types of Provision
- EOTAS is different to mainstream school and, while concerned with educational progress, must also focus on helping children and young people to address and overcome the Social, Behavioural, Emotional and Well Being difficulties (SBEW), or other barriers which are preventing them from accessing learning.
- EOTAS must provide a continuum of provision to address the diversity of needs presented by these young people, particularly those with SBEW.
The two main types of EOTAS provision are:
- Short term placements with continued school attendance where EOTAS focuses completely on addressing SBEW (accessed through a referral to Post Primary Behaviour Support) ; and
- Longer term placements retaining links with school but with the EOTAS setting taking responsibility for delivering curriculum as well as addressing SBEW.
EOTAS Referral Processes
Request for a Full time EOTAS placement can be submitted at any time in the school year however panels only occur in December and April/May.
Further information on referral timescales and supporting guidance are listed below.
|Tuesday 7 November 2023 by 4pm||Closing date for EOTAS referrals sent to PPBSP.email@example.com. (Referrals received after this date will not be considered at the December panels)|
|Friday 10 November 2023||Final date for Administration Team to process EOTAS placement consideration lists for panel and prepare for online panels.|
|Tuesday 14 November 2023||Panel members informed of pupils being considered at EOTAS panel.|
|Monday 4 December 2023||EOTAS Panel Meeting - Locality East|
|Tuesday 5 December 2023||EOTAS Panel Meeting - Locality North|
|Wednesday 6 December 2023||EOTAS Panel Meeting - Locality South West|
|Monday 11 December 2023||Regional Administrator to distribute panel outcomes to Administration Team and Advisers for allocation of Centre and processing letters.|
|Friday 15 December 2023||All successful and unsuccessful letters to be emailed to schools and EA services informed of outcomes by this date. Follow up actions for deferred cases will be completed as soon as possible with schools and services informed.|
Schools are required to provide a full and comprehensive overview of the individual pupil’s presenting needs and details of interventions that have been provided to date including input from EA services and/or partner agencies.