The Intercultural Education Service (IES) is available free of charge to all schools across Northern Ireland. A newcomer pupil refers to any pupil for whom English is not the home language and who may require support in school for this reason.
Who we are and what we do
The Intercultural Education Service is available free of charge to all schools across Northern Ireland. The Newcomer Service offers advice and support teachers who are working with newcomer pupils from pre-school to post-primary level. A newcomer pupil refers to any pupil for whom English is not the home language and who may require support in school for this reason.
The Intercultural Education Service provide:
- Interpreting and Translation:
- Interpreting Service for parent teacher meetings
- Translated letters and guidelines about school policies on our website
Advice and Support:
- Welcoming new arrivals
- Promoting intercultural awareness in the school
- Communication with home
- Planning for the first few weeks
- Monitoring progress
- Curriculum access
- Overcoming specific language difficulties
- Exam preparation in post primary
- Toolkits for Preschool, Primary, Post Primary and Special Education On-line Courses
Advisor Contact Information
Dr. Kieran Shields
Education Authority, Armagh Office, 3 Charlemont Place, The Mall, Armagh, BT61 9AX
Newcomer Contact Information
If you would like a visit to your school, please contact the IES service and an officer working in your area will be in contact.