Applying for a Primary School Place
Children aged between 4 and 16 are of compulsory school age in Northern Ireland and parents/guardians need to apply in order for their child to be considered for a place. You can click on the appropriate guide below for further information and the eligible age ranges for admission.
The Citizen Portal for online applications opens at 12.00 noon on 7 January 2021 and closes at 12.00 noon on 29 January 2021 for September 2021 admissions.
- Places are not allocated on a first come, first served basis.
- Before you start your application find out more information about the schools you are interested in applying to by reading the admissions criteria.
- The Admissions Helpdesk 028 9598 5595 will be available for digital assistance.
- If you do not apply before the closing date/time of 12.00 noon on Friday 29 January 2021, your application will be treated as a late application.
- If you are unable to apply online, paper applications will only be available on request from the Education Authority.
- For further information/guidance please view the Primary Admissions User Guide below.
A small number of primary schools provide a Reception class for children who are aged four at the date of their admission, but who are not yet of compulsory school age (i.e. children whose fourth birthday is after 1 July in a year).
Reception places will only be allocated after all children of compulsory school age have been selected for a place.
Children currently already enrolled in a Reception Class
If you child is currently enrolled in a Reception Class and you wish for them to continue their primary one education at the same school, then a new application is not required.
However, if you wish to apply for your child to be admitted to Primary one in a different primary school, then you must complete an application for consideration.