The service provides advice, guidance and focused support to schools and to parents and pupils from the Traveller community as part of the Children & Young People’s Services main aim:
"to help improve pupil outcomes and ultimately their life chances"
The Traveller Education Support Service has a number of related objectives to help us to meet that aim:
- To improve the quality of educational support provided to the Traveller community;
- To provide a consistent service to schools and families in need of support across Northern Ireland;
- To facilitate equality of access from pre-school to post-primary education;
- To build the capacity of schools to meet the educational needs of Traveller children and young people;
- To promote whole school approaches to service development;
- To promote full inclusion and integration across all areas of youth education;
- To support and encourage family learning, out of school hours learning and life-long learning.
The service produces a comprehensive annual delivery plan which sets out how the Traveller Education Support Service delivers a range of activities aimed at helping to meet the service delivery objectives set out above.